HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  Truth Zone SiteTruth Zone Site  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tim and the Hidden People

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
 Tim and the Hidden People EmptyWed 18 Apr 2012, 3:30 am

psketti

psketti

Tim and the Hidden People Empty
 Post Subject: Tim and the Hidden People

Thought I'd start a thread in regards to these books to see who else had the pleasure to encounter them other than myself.

Back when I was but a nipper in the last year of junour/primary school, when everything was still black and white (late 70's) we where introduced to a range of books which where solely designed to help children along with reading and to keep their interest piqued enough to make them continue to do so.

The series where aptly called 'Flightpath To Reading' - Tim and the Hidden People and consisted of four sets, A, B, C and D and each set contained eight short books approximately thirty two pages long. They included coloured art work throughout which for the time, was very well done in my opinion.

When they where introduced to our classrooms they where an instant hit and the latest 'thing' became who could read them the fastest but whilst doing this we where unaware of how this simple series of stories where actually setting us up for a lifetime of pleasure from reading itself. As far as I'm concerned, they where worth their weight in gold.
I became so enthralled in them that I've never looked back. For me, they opened up the fascinating world of all things strange and mysterious and brought my imagination even more alive than it already was Tim and the Hidden People 1780324424

This is a list of each series;

Series A
A1. Tim and Tobias
A2. All the Fun of the Fair
A3. Tim Meets Captain Jory
A4. Tim and the Smugglers
A5. Tim and the Witches
A6. The Highwayman
A7. Magic in the Yard
A8. The Key

Series C
C1. The Pool by the Whispering Trees
C2. Tim in Trouble
C3. On the Road to the North
C4. Riding into Danger
C5. Mandrake's Castle
C6. Escape by Night
C7. Three Fires on the Dark Tower
C8. Tim Rides on the Ghost Bus

Series C
C1. The Pool by the Whispering Trees
C2. Tim in Trouble
C3. On the Road to the North
C4. Riding into Danger
C5. Mandrake's Castle
C6. Escape by Night
C7. Three Fires on the Dark Tower
C8. Tim Rides on the Ghost Bus

Series D:
D1. News from the North
D2. The Cry in the Dark
D3. The Shield Stone
D4. The Storm over the Sea
D5. The Cave of the Wind Witches
D6. In Diaman's Cave
D7. Danger on the Moor
D8. At the Hill of the Stone Prisons

Here's a brief description of the story line...

Quote :
When he finds a mysterious key, Tim discovers he can see things other people cannot, including an entire society of Hidden People. Tobias, the black cat, is his first friend, who teaches him to fly a broomstick.

Among the society of the Hidden People, there are dangers such as Wild Witches, Stone men and Stump People, and as he spends longer in their world Tim makes enemies as well as allies...

to be cont... Tim and the Hidden People 3936495082

Back to top Go down

Tim and the Hidden People EmptyWed 18 Apr 2012, 3:36 am

psketti

psketti

Post Subject: Some pictures...

These are images of some of the books... just to give you an idea Tim and the Hidden People 3203236809

Tim and the Hidden People 51g-hrmxmcL._SL500_

Tim and the Hidden People 516vgqRoUTL._SL500_

Tim and the Hidden People 51uVkIPLl0L._SL500_

Tim and the Hidden People 51Rsq5jws-L._SL500_

Tim and the Hidden People 515ZNYTRUyL._SL500_

Tim and the Hidden People 6af536c622a0b299b5c08110.L

Back to top Go down

Tim and the Hidden People EmptyWed 18 Apr 2012, 4:22 am

psketti

psketti

Post Subject: ...

These stories left a massive impression on me and I'll always be thankful to the wonderful author, Sheila McCullagh and her fantastic imagination. For many years after I'd recall back and it always made me smile Tim and the Hidden People 3203236809

Ok, so, fast forward to the year 2011/2012 where I'm all growed up (shut it ab Tim and the Hidden People 1780324424 ) with children of my own.

For some reason unknown to myself, I'd managed to completely forget about these books whilst my boys where younger and they have sadly missed out. However, having had some kind of flashback (via a dream no less) early last year, I've since been trying to collect them all for my daughter to read.

Simple enough task you'd think... well think again Tim and the Hidden People 2093769182

Over the last 12 months I have been scouring the earth, from every bloody corner, in my quest (yes it is a quest) to let my daughter enjoy these as I did. It appears that everyone of my era, who read these too, is now ALSO searching for them for their children Tim and the Hidden People 2560176788

As a result of this and the fact that they where only ever republished ONCE back in the eighties, the prices have rocketed beyond belief! A publisher actually grouped all the individual series together to make 4 short novels too... but these to, now command some ridiculous prices. I've purchased them as far away as New Zealand and Japan! As well as emailing half the primary schools in the UK and hundreds of libraries... its not been easy by any stretch.
I've tried very hard to stick to the rule of never paying more than £25 for one but have to admit to going up as far as £60 for 2 particular ones that are rarer than hens teeth! The fact that they all run consecutively makes it impossible to skip any.

After much searching I eventually managed to get the short novel of the first series and one of the originals from the B series and my daughter and I got stuck into them forthwith... the result was she absolutely adored them Tim and the Hidden People 1780324424
However, the one original that I had, was the one she liked the most - mainly down to the layout and pictures (the short novels aren't illustrated like the originals)... so I then started my mission to collect the old ones.

Currently, book A of the first series can change hands for hundreds of pounds Tim and the Hidden People 2093769182

To date... I now have all of series B and C and have just about got all of D. But its been an absolute nightmare if I'm honest and as we aren't flush when it comes to cash, the only way I've been able to is by selling items I already have, on ebay, to pay for them. Which so far has worked out.

My issue with it all though, is why hasn't another publisher picked up on this and ran with it? I really don't understand? These are brilliant books... and from what I've discovered online whilst searching for them, there is a HUGE demand for them even now due to those of us who read them as kids. I'd go as far as saying they almost have cult status! This is a money spinner waiting to happen yet nobody's grabbing it. I'm at a loss as to why?

They would do nothing other than benefit kids even today and it just doesn't make sense that something so popular is being ignored. And at the very least, these generations of children are totally missing out on a whole world of wonder. I just don't get it considering popular books are reprinted time and time again.

So there... that's my rant of the day... sorry it's so bloody long but I got carried away Tim and the Hidden People 1780324424

Would love to hear if any of you read them and remember them as fondly as myself (and my WHOLE generation) do Tim and the Hidden People 3936495082
Back to top Go down

Tim and the Hidden People EmptyWed 18 Apr 2012, 5:24 am

batou

batou

Post Subject: Re: Tim and the Hidden People

nettles! this looks even more satanic than harry potter!
Back to top Go down

Tim and the Hidden People EmptyWed 18 Apr 2012, 5:35 am

psketti

psketti

batou wrote:
nettles! this looks even more satanic than harry potter!

They're WAY better than the Potter stories in my opinion... and there's nothing wrong with a little satanism in small doses. Keeps the imagination alive and kicking Tim and the Hidden People 4078481694
Back to top Go down

Tim and the Hidden People EmptyWed 18 Apr 2012, 6:01 am

ab origine

ab origine

I will keep any eye out for you nettles.

Chuffed if I'm paying £60.00 out for you though...

Mad
Back to top Go down

Tim and the Hidden People EmptyWed 18 Apr 2012, 6:03 am

psketti

psketti

ab origine wrote:
I will keep any eye out for you nettles.

Chuffed if I'm paying £60.00 out for you though...

Mad

Tim and the Hidden People 1780324424 ... cheers

Just shout me if you see any and I'll saddle up that horse in the wink of an eye....
Back to top Go down

Tim and the Hidden People EmptyWed 18 Apr 2012, 6:03 am

batou

batou

i'll keep an eye out for you incase i see some! i go to a lot of different places that have books. there's a hundred junk erm antique stores here, everyone has yard sales through the summer, and the libraries give away books every 6 months. i've found some treasures, although probably worthless in money since they are library stamped etc. but still.. books are books
Back to top Go down

Tim and the Hidden People EmptyWed 18 Apr 2012, 6:06 am

ab origine

ab origine

batou wrote:
i'll keep an eye out for you incase i see some! i go to a lot of different places that have books. there's a hundred junk erm antique stores here, everyone has yard sales through the summer, and the libraries give away books every 6 months. i've found some treasures, although probably worthless in money since they are library stamped etc. but still.. books are books

Indeed, and an increasing 'rarity' in this Kindle/technology obsessed world. Some might say by design, but that's a whole other thread...

Tim and the Hidden People 3936495082
Back to top Go down

Tim and the Hidden People EmptyWed 18 Apr 2012, 6:08 am

psketti

psketti

batou wrote:

Ace Tim and the Hidden People 3203236809

And do some research on those books you have... sometimes a mere library stamp is irrelevant if the books a gem. Be well worth looking into. Give me a shout if you get stuck as it's one of my 'things' Tim and the Hidden People 3936495082 Tim and the Hidden People 1780324424
Back to top Go down

Tim and the Hidden People EmptyWed 18 Apr 2012, 6:09 am

batou

batou

i know, i am sad about these kindle things. i really love to hold a book. but i see how kindles are cool, you can have hundred of books in one thing. but a book is almost magical.
its such a shame i can't read.
Back to top Go down

Tim and the Hidden People EmptyWed 18 Apr 2012, 6:11 am

ab origine

ab origine

nettles wrote:
batou wrote:

Ace Tim and the Hidden People 3203236809

And do some research on those books you have... sometimes a mere library stamp is irrelevant if the books a gem. Be well worth looking into. Give me a shout if you get stuck as it's one of my 'things' Tim and the Hidden People 3936495082 Tim and the Hidden People 1780324424

Netts, I have a copy of "Wee Tim'rous Beasties" by Douglas English, dated 1903. Reckon it's worth owt?
Back to top Go down

Tim and the Hidden People EmptyWed 18 Apr 2012, 6:17 am

psketti

psketti

batou wrote:
i know, i am sad about these kindle things. i really love to hold a book. but i see how kindles are cool, you can have hundred of books in one thing. but a book is almost magical.
its such a shame i can't read.

smokin
Back to top Go down

Tim and the Hidden People EmptyWed 18 Apr 2012, 6:18 am

psketti

psketti

ab origine wrote:

Netts, I have a copy of "Wee Tim'rous Beasties" by Douglas English, dated 1903. Reckon it's worth owt?

I've no idea but I'll certainly have a wee look Tim and the Hidden People 3936495082
Back to top Go down

Tim and the Hidden People EmptyWed 18 Apr 2012, 6:21 am

ab origine

ab origine

nettles wrote:
ab origine wrote:

I've no idea but I'll certainly have a wee look Tim and the Hidden People 3936495082

You should start a 'book valuation' thread...if you want to.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Tim and the Hidden People EmptyWed 18 Apr 2012, 7:04 am

psketti

psketti

ab origine wrote:
nettles wrote:
ab origine wrote:

Very Happy

Want a PR job? smokin
Back to top Go down

Tim and the Hidden People EmptyWed 18 Apr 2012, 7:07 am

ab origine

ab origine

nettles wrote:
ab origine wrote:
nettles wrote:
ab origine wrote:

Very Happy

Want a PR job? Tim and the Hidden People 1680093717

What's the pay like? I don't 'do' sexual favours...

Tim and the Hidden People 2672159185
Back to top Go down

Tim and the Hidden People EmptyWed 18 Apr 2012, 8:12 am

psketti

psketti

ab origine wrote:

What's the pay like? I don't 'do' sexual favours...

Tim and the Hidden People 2672159185

You're no use to me then sunshine Tim and the Hidden People 1780324424

Last edited by nettles on Wed 18 Apr 2012, 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Tim and the Hidden People

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1